Saturday, June 9, 2012

satisfaction - more or less, a perfect day

breakfast. writing. second breakfast. grocery shopping. reading in a cafe to elevate the mind. came up with challenging questions and tasks to push my photography/thinking/learning e.g.:

1. make a list of my prejudgements before looking at works of art. (the clearer I am about these, the more likely I will not misjudge the ones made by others)

2. should readers know my personality/history to understand my work better?

3. knowledge vs. opinion. what 'problems' ('questions') am i creating in my work and do I offer the information (in my work) to answer or respond to these questions? and what are my opinions?

4. look at other photographers/artists in relation to each other. (create a conversation between two artists to create living issues from their bodies of work)

5. am i contributing to the conversation, the history of great photographs and photographers? am i moving the conversation forward? if not, how can i?

6. have more live discussions about my work.

7. do i deceive myself about my ability to read (visual materials) intelligently?

I spent the last hour chipping away at number four. I compared Alessandra Sanguinetti with Erika Larsen. Similar, but important comparisons. For inspiration/faith, I draw from Sanguinetti's On the Sixth Day, and Larsen's Sami. I find myself in between both of them when I think about the work I want to make - FILM, NATURAL, LIGHT, COLORS, WARM, NICE LANGUAGE, LAND, LIVING, and DEPTH OF FIELD.

In my photographic research this evening (the best kind of Saturday night always), I found these amazing interviews of photographers talking about their work/experience at this intense photojournalism program. The first video harnesses all of the integrity I want in my work, and in a way renewed my commitment just listening to height of quality that can be achieved if you work hard. Plus it's indispensable to listen to these photographers talk about the emotional attachments they have to their work and the persistence that is needed in carrying out their projects.

With that said, I've got to go back to the working table. Think about some of these Q's, edit photographs, and lay out a master plan.

No comments: