Tuesday, September 6, 2011


Sunday is jam-packed all over. More importantly, everyone is in a good relaxed mood. Pa Pu, Pa Joy and I took the sky train to a boat bus to eat at Sizzlers and visit the grand palace and Wat Phra Keaw, which can be found on the other side of Chao Phraya, the river that runs through Bangkok. This ancient palace and Wat Phra Keaw were built when Rama I took the throne. The hand work and artisanal effort put into the structure and detail of the architecture is simply stunning and unforgettable- distinctly Thai. We only spent half an hour there, but it's certainly the kind of place you need to spend half a day at. I'm going to go back, and I'm going to make sure I see the EMERALD BUDDHA (its actually jade, and has been traced back to being made in India several centuries ago). I'm also obsessed with the offerings, melted candles, and beautiful prayers that can be found at the temple.
Despite all the amazing food here, there is a major shortage of raw foods in my diet. For that reason Sizzler was amazing. It's so hard to find, let alone eat appetizing salad greens that won't give you dysentery. It's just not done here outside of sizzler, unless you grow your own greens. I ate maybe 10 plates of this crazy spinach I had never seen before that had a pink center and one soft boiled quail egg.
On the way back, we took a two-rowed truck taxi to the flea market by Pa Pu's house. She told me that American thrift stores has ruined her flea market experience here. The quality simply isn't as good, and that vendors overcharge for anything worthwhile. Regardless, I thought it was amazing and we're going to go back next week. A very vibrant food market is part of the scene. I found this scary guy selling the most amazing vintage Lee button down shirts and high-waisted corduroys. I've been assuming that vintage is an overlooked style in BKK as everyone is mostly trying to look very modern. Time for dinner. 4 kinds of stir-fried mushroom!

No comments: