Tuesday, September 27, 2011



It's so nice to learn about photographers you've never heard about, especially a classic like Eliot Porter. His brother is also an amazing painter. Their family owned a private island in Maine, which was an inspiring residency for their work.

Back at the aunt's for a couple days. Enjoying the fresher air. Cramming in a lot of Thai. Learning beautiful words like ความร่วมมือ, which means cooperation but translates more literally into joining of hands. Quite fitting isn't it? Then you have words like ชุมชน, which means community, but translates into crashing rally. Very ominous actually. I also like the word ทะเลทราย, which translates into sea of sand (desert)!

I'm feeling more confident walking around this town speaking Thai, but I think I got too cocky and confused the girls at 7-11 when I asked them about how I could add minutes to my phone. I later found out that you're actually suppose to say, how can I add money to my phone. In my walks about town looking for an air conditioning mechanic I came across the most amazing mini plaza. You can't tell that it's a plaza because the entrance is but a tiny walk way next to a coffee stand. At first I thought, wow, this coffee stand is very popular, and very deep.... so many people are disappearing back there. I walked by a second time and noticed a sign for GYM and YOGA and decided to run back there- THE BEST THAI VEGETARIAN FOOD EVER. They have an amazing variety and affordable selection of yummies, including fresh squeezed juices and a giant bag of juiced wheatgrass for a dollar. They have dessert stores, music classes, language classes, yoga classes etc. What I've described is actually known as the Banana Family Park!

No comments: