Sunday, August 7, 2011

New World

We're here! It's a time capsule. Outside of Bangkok (BKK) life seems the same as i remember it when I was a kid. It's such a different way of living here- a third or fourth tier economy that most Americans do not experience. We easily take for granted the economy and lifestyle we are blessed with. Although, when we go BKK tomorrow, I'll have a better sense of modern life. From the ladies I saw at the airport, there are fashionably forward individuals also known as "hi-so"/high society folks as Thais call it. It's funny, because these folks dress like normal young NYC/LA women with a little asian flare. Maybe hi-so is when you look fashionably western? I'll try taking a few pics of them. Maybe I'll make a blog all about high society.

I'm eating insanely well as I expected. We ate an Isaan dinner last night, so everything from papaya salad, duck salad, fried pork, grilled cow tongue, pork rolls, lemon grass pork soup, sticky rice, and good ol' singha. I should not feel that surprised to see an actual elephant while having dinner, but I was sooo excited. A baby elephant!! For lunch we went down the street to a little noodle hut and had thom yum skinny noodles. Because the heat and humidity keeps your hunger down, the smaller proportions are just right.

Mom, Brother and I spent the day at the alligator farm down the street. I have already shot one roll of film, and I'm onto the next! I'm so excited to be making photographs here. There are so many lyrical gifts in the landscape, and it feels terribly good to see them with open eyes. They're not wide surprised eyes, luckily, or else I'd be shutter happy (or is it snap happy?), but I feel patient in my observations.

Nit and Nan (chocolate and yellow labradors) are making strange sounds this evening. It's almost two in the morning. Time to go back to bed. I want to be able to wake up to get freshly made soy milk.

1 comment:

EB said...

wow this is amazing