Friday, January 28, 2011


We lost a great friend and great mind yesterday. Robert Seydel, one of the most probing and influential professors at Hampshire College, passed away yesterday in the midst of preparing for a class from a heart attack.

What an electric soul he had. He possessed a kind of devotion and peserverance that could not go unnoticed. Robert was so deeply respected and loved among his peers and students.

I cannot express the pivotal presence that he had in my life. How I understand the world has been shaped by him. The passion and commitment I try to live my life by was introduced by Robert. I feel as though he shared with students a secret to life that is invaluable and rare. It was a privilege to see him step foot in the class, to see and feel the love he had for the gift of curiosity, for the nuances of poetry, for creation and for the mind. It was so so amazing. Ha, it was so hard to get into his classes. The room would be packed, maybe 20+ more people than he could actually take. Robert worked with such integrity and had high expectations for everyone. As a student, you knew you would learn a great deal from him.

I feel so fortunate to have known him and know so many other individuals who will understand what a great loss this is to the Hampshire Community.

No comments: