Saturday, December 5, 2009

i did it!


string figures! I learned the Apache Door today.

I wrote to Andrea recently saying how I took a break from working, but the longer I put myself on hold the less confident I felt in my direction. And so it goes, I must keep working. I have been covering the field from photography proposals and editing to location scouting and taking photographs. I turned away from my color work quickly after the debut of the sophomore work, but I've spent time re-editing now and I really like where I am going. I can say this is me, this is how I think. I especially think I am not done. I always forget the time it takes to accumulate work. If I cultivate one amazing series, I will be satisfied.

I am lucky to have a resource for free developing. 10 rolls of film today: maine coyotes, irish wolfhound with hydrangeas, yellowstone forest fires, geysers, sheep, palm trees, pine beetles, lemon trees, ewen wright's wedding, etc etc. I can't remember. 9/10 rolls were Black and white. I haven't seen them, but I am excited to see what my investigation looks like. To think in color is so different. I feel like I am just starting to get the hang of it. But really, I am more wowed by black and white gelatin prints and in that way more devoted. You can enjoy the surface of the paper, the depths of black- have you ever seen 40 different shades of black? That is what I mean, there is simply nothing like it.

I have not enjoyed a good black and white print in a long, long time. Tomorrow, I hope, will offer goodness at the Irving Penn Getty exhibit. We will see what kind of a printer he is! At the SFMOMA, I was really impressed by the post-war Japanese work, but especially the diverse exhibit of contemporary asian photographers. Some of them are doing pure poetry.

No comments: